Built at Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, the Georgic was the last ship built for the White Star Line before its merger with the Cunard Line.
She was built for the Liverpool–New York route and launched in 1931. Her design was very similar to that of Britannic, with a sleek profile and two squat smokestacks. She recorded a top speed of 19 knots on her speed trials. At 711 ft long, and a gross tonnage of 27,759 gross tons, she wasn't the greatest liner of her time, but she assisted in keeping the White Star Line afloat during the Great Depression.
After the outbreak of World War II, the Georgic was requisitioned by the Admiralty for troopship duties. On 7 July 1941, the Georgic was docked at Port Tewfik. German aircraft spotted the Georgic, which they proceeded to attack, resulting in two bombs being dropped, with one striking Georgic's stern. A large fire ensued, spreading to the ship's dummy funnel that was holding ammunition. This ammunition exploded, seriously damaging the stern area of the vessel. The order was given to abandon ship, with Georgic now sinking by the stern. The ship settled at the bottom of the shallow water and was left to burn out.
Later, damage to the Georgic was assessed and during October the ship had its holes and openings temporarily plugged and then the water was pumped out to refloat the vessel. An inspection of the ship structure and its engines was then carried out and a decision was made to send the ship back to Harland and Wolff in Belfast for complete refurbishment into a troopship.
She made her final voyage in 1954, and laid up at Kames Bay, Isle of Bute, pending disposal. She was scrapped in February 1956 at Faslane.